There’s an Amish oasis in Southwestern Ohio. In the midst of the Wheat Ridge Amish community dotting the edge of Appalachia is Miller’s Furniture, Bakery and Bulk Foods stores. This family came from humble beginnings, grew a very popular family business yet have stayed true to those humble beginnings.
Today, the furniture business is massive. They sell just about anything you can imagine from kitchens to bedrooms, grandfather clocks, desks, chairs, outdoor furniture, playsets, barns and more. Their most sought after offerings are dining tables and chairs in addition to nursery gliders, bed frames, TV stands, computer desks and lawn furniture.
Then there’s the bulk food store. This is the one place at Millers that local Amish families shop at almost as much as the tourists. That’s because it is a grocery where all kinds of natural ingredients are available for home cooking. The aisles are filled with fresh bulk baking supplies, jams, candies, and more. They also carry a wide variety of cheese and meats.
But people absolutely love to come in for the fresh made pretzel sandwiches stacked high with deli meat and veggies. The demand is so high that there’s even a café setting where lunch can be eaten at tables inside. Perhaps the best setting for lunch is to grab a picnic table in the nearby pavilion overlooking the rolling wooded hills across the horizon. For dessert, the bulk foods store offers anything from old-fashioned candies to fudge and buckeyes but the favorite choice by most is the cashew brittle.
Don’t forget to stop in the bakery before you leave. The folks there are up early most mornings doing what the family has done for decades – create fresh deliciousness right before your eyes. Customers know to get there early if they want to load up on fried pies, donuts and crème horns before they sell out. There’s nothing like seeing something come hot out of the oven right before your very eyes.
“Each of the stores also have seasonal favorites,” Daniel Miller explained. “We sell a lot of jewelry boxes, rockers and sliding mirrors around Christmas. The bakery can’t make enough cream pies, raisin coconut and peanut butter treats during the holiday season. The same goes for the bulk food store’s demand for gift boxes filled with candies and cheeses.”
Daniel made a point to say that they don’t want people to think that they think they do a better job making things just because they’re Amish. He wants their products to speak for themselves without having to be labeled Amish.
Every year, the Miller family likes to give back to their customers to show their appreciation. One way is to offer discounts on special days. Mark your calendar for these special dates this fall and holiday season:
- September 2, 3 & 5, 2016 (closed 4th): Labor Day sale offers 10 percent off all items in stock at furniture store only. Excludes all outdoor buildings, gazebos and select bedroom sets. It is recommended to order early for Christmas.
- September 3, 2016 (Labor Day Weekend): The 19th Annual Amish School Benefit Cookout. The menu includes hamburgers, hot dogs, noodles, Chip’s fresh pie, homemade ice cream, coffee and soft drinks.
- September 24, 2016: Annual Adams County Marathon – Run The Amish Country. Call 606-831-3260.
- October 1, 2016: The 39th Annual Miller’s Anniversary Customer Appreciation Day – Visitors get a free 2017 Miller’s calendar complete with 2017 sales dates and special event dates. The menu includes BBQ chicken, baked beans, coleslaw, fresh pie, homemade ice cream, coffee and soft drinks.
- October 7, 8, 9, 2016: Wheat Ridge Old Thyme Herb Fair & Harvest Celebration at 817 Tater Ridge Rd. in West Union, Ohio. Friday – Sunday from 10am – 6pm. Call 937-544-8252 for more details about this event or visitwww.wheatridgeherbfestival.com.
- November 25 & 26, 2016: Storewide Thanksgiving Sale offering 10 percent off all items in stock (furniture store only). Excludes all outdoor buildings, gazebos and select bedroom sets.
- December 24, (not the 25th), 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 2016: The End of Year Clearance Sale! This includes free coffee and cookies at the bakery and free cheese and candy samples at the Bulk Foods Store. Get 10 percent off all items in stock (furniture store only). Excludes all outdoor buildings, gazebos and select bedroom sets.
For the complete back story of the Miller family and plenty of photographs and video clips, visit tourguidetofun.com/amish-made/ and read, “Amish-made: The Miller’s Family Story.”
Keep in mind, these Amish stores are always closed on Sunday. Millers Furniture, Bakery and Bulk Foods is located at 960 Wheat Ridge Road in West Union, Ohio. Their phone number is 937-544-8524. They can also be found online at www.WheatRidgeAmish.com and on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.