GraveQuests: Geocaching for famous Ohio gravesites without knowing who you’ll find.
First Quest is a Sure Shot
- Who Am I: Chief Sitting Bull nicknamed me “Watanya Cicilla.” Buffalo Bill made me famous around the world.
- Where am I: Brock Cemetery in Darke county. It is up to you to find the cemetery and tombstone. For geocachers, coordinates are
N: 40° 15.622 and W: 084° 33.645. Map of area
- What you will find: An Ohio icon and American legend.
- Nearby Attractions: Bear’s Mill, KitchenAid™ Experience and Maid Rite, which is a unique eatery.
Second Quest Was Lost in Time
- Who Am I: I am the first black major league baseball player but my name is not Jackie Robinson. I was called up 63 years earlier. It even says so on my gravestone and in the very first edition of the board game Trivial Pursuit
- Where am I: Union Cemetery in Steubenville, Ohio (Section P). For geocachers, coordinates are N: 40° 21.884 and W: 080° 38.274.
- What you will find: A beautiful place that winds forever into the rolling wooded hills with creeks so bring walking shoes because it is worth the stroll.
- Nearby Attractions: Steubenville “City of Murals” and hometown of Dean Martin, Old Fort Steuben, The Ohio River and Creegan Animation Factory.
Third Quest is a Journey to the Center of the Earth
- Who Am I: Many thought I was nuts for my hollow Earth theory. It is also referred to as the Theory of Concentric Spheres or Polar Voids. I fought most my life to get funding to prove it. Instead I was ridiculed. But there were times the mainstream scientific community lent some credibility. My tombstone looks like a monument and has a hollow Earth atop its peak. I have a famous uncle with the same exact name.
- Where am I: The burial ground where I lay to rest is long gone yet my grave stone remains in what is now a playground in Hamilton, Ohio at the southeast quadrant of 3rd Street and Sycamore. For geocachers, coordinates are N: 39° 23.711 and W: 084° 33.699.
- What you will find: A very interesting story behind my life and theories, a playground, and a fun town to explore.
- Nearby Attractions: Pyramid Hill Sculpture Park, City of Sculpture, and Jungle Jim’s.
Fourth Quest is Chock Full of Surprises
This quest is a three-parter, all in the same general location.
Who Are We? One used to be the richest man on Earth and would love today’s oil prices, the second busted Al Capone for tax evasion, and the third was assassinated while President of the United States.
Where are we? Lake View Cemetery in Cleveland, Ohio. For Geocachers, coordinates are:
- N: 41° 30.673
W: 081° 35.474
- N: 41° 30.834
W: 081° 35.571
- N: 41° 30.604
W: 081° 35.486
What you will find: A cemetery that doubles as an arboretum and outdoor museum. Tours are often scheduled, including architecture, trolley, and geology. It is also a destination for horticulturalists. Many legendary personalities rest within along side all walks of life. Cassettes and CDs are available at the office for self-guided tours.
Nearby Attractions: Cleveland Botanical Garden, Cleveland Museum of Art, and Western Reserve Historical Society. For a good meal and shopping, head just outside the cemetery down Mayfield Road (Murray Hill) into the heart of Little Italy. Many shops and restaurants await. Make sure you don’t leave without Cannoli from one of the bakeries.