Really, not much has changed in Miller’s 40 years of business. For an Amish family-run business, that’s just how they like it. But in four decades, they certainly have grown!
There’s still the clickety-clack all along Wheat Ridge Road in West Union, Ohio, where Miller’s Bakery, Furniture and Bulk Foods is located. The bustling Amish community that formed here decades ago simply became known as the Wheat Ridge Amish. Those early families who settled along this sprawling, peaceful, rolling countryside included a young couple, Harry and Lydia Miller, and their children. The year was 1977.
The Miller family farmed their land, but what they really loved to do as a family was bake. Before long, this family of eight was turning out pies left and right for their neighbors, friends and friends of friends from an overworked oven inside of their modest farmhouse. Word spread and before Harry and Lydia knew it, they were in the baking business.
Harry and his sons would return from trips to Amish-country in Northeast Ohio with some pieces of Amish-made furniture built by friends to sell. Just like the bakery, folks wanted more. Soon thereafter, a furniture business was running alongside the bakery. Over the years, the Miller family branched out across their 300-acre farm. Eventually, they built a 34,000 square foot building just to showcase their furniture offerings. Outside they added outdoor furniture, barns, playsets and more. In addition, they built a separate building for their bakery and another one for their bulk foods store.
Today, the Miller family is in its third generation. Most of Harry and Lydia’s children run things now. Daniel is at the furniture store, Larry at the bakery, and Harry Jr. at the bulk foods store, complete with a deli counter and seating. Malinda helps too. The other two sons, Gerold and David, come back often to visit. Altogether, the six children have provided Harry and Lydia with more than 20 grandkids. Many of them also help out with the family business. Things at Miller’s should be in good hands for generations to come, God willing.
Throughout the rest of 2017, the Millers have special events planned to thank customers for their blessings of being in business for so long.
- May 13, 2017: Mother’s Day Weekend – Miller’s 40th Anniversary featuring free cake, ice cream and more.
- May 26, 27 & 29, 2017 (closed on the 28th): Memorial Day Weekend Storewide Sale offers 10% off all items in stock at furniture store only (excluding outdoor building and gazebos and select bedroom sets).
- September 1, 2 & 4, 2017 (closed on the 3rd): Labor Day Weekend Sale offers 10 percent off all items in stock at furniture store only. Excludes all outdoor buildings, gazebos and select bedroom sets. It is recommended to order early for Christmas.
- September 2, 2017 (Labor Day Weekend): The 20th Annual Amish School Benefit Cookout. The menu includes hamburgers, hot dogs, noodles, Chip’s fresh pie, homemade ice cream, coffee and soft drinks.
- October 7, 2017: The 40th Annual Miller’s Anniversary Customer Appreciation Day. Visitors get a free Miller’s calendar for the upcoming year complete with sales dates and special event dates. The menu includes BBQ chicken, baked beans, coleslaw, fresh pie, homemade ice cream, coffee and soft drinks.
- October 13, 14 and 15: Wheat Ridge Old Thyme Herb Fair & Harvest Celebration is 10am – 6pm at 817 Tater Ridge Road in West Union, Ohio. For more info, call 937-544-8252.
- November 24 & 25, 2017: Storewide Thanksgiving Sale offering 10 percent off all items in stock (furniture store only).
- December 23, (not the 24th or 25th) 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 2017: The End of Year Clearance Sale! This includes free coffee and cookies at the bakery and free cheese and candy samples at the Bulk Foods Store. Get 10 percent off all items in stock (furniture store only).
Many people travel near and far to visit scenic Southwest Ohio Appalachian Country and to shop at Miller’s Bakery, Furniture and Bulk Foods. It’s known as destination shopping. There’s even a picnic pavilion to relax and breathe in the fresh air. You can plan your pilgrimage at WheatRidgeAmish.com or by calling 937-544-8524. Miller’s stores are open Monday through Saturday (Always Closed on Sunday) from 9am – 5pm.
Service with a smile – it’s not something from Yesteryear. It’s this year and every day, always at Millers!